11.17.2007

iGoogle, One Sentence, and the likes [Thing #19]

So the assignment for Thing #19 is to select a site from the Web 2.0 awards list and discuss. But after looking through such a huge list of categories, it's so hard to choose just one...

1.) Start Pages: iGoogle
I think this choice was pretty obvious, after I just wrote an entire post professing my love for everything Google. But seriously, all favoritism aside, how could you not love iGoogle? You can customize it into anything you want. I have so much stuff on mine, from things as simple as the daily forecast to news concerning Buffy/Angel/Firefly. With a total of 12 boxes, all containing different information, you would think that a page like that would be overwhelming. Guess again! The layout is customizable, which just makes everything that much better. It's actually one of the most useful pages I visit each day, because I can get all of my news, emails, and podcasts in one place. Google's version of one-stop-shopping. Have I mentioned how much I love Google...?

2.) Social Networking: Facebook
I was pretty anti-Facebook for a while. I didn't like how stalker-ish everything seemed. But the more I began to use it, the more I found I liked it. It is a great way to keep in touch with people you don't see very often. Between sharing photos, updating your status, and adding tons of applications, it is becoming more and more popular everyday. The layout is nice and clean, and very user-friendly.

3.) Fun Stuff: One Sentence?
I'm going to be totally honest here; I loved this site. It is in no way useful. What it is, is funny. I think the About section sums everything up pretty nicely:

"One Sentence is an experiment in brevity. Most of the best stories that we tell from our lives have one really, really good part that make the rest of the boring story worth it.

This is about that one line."

And that is why I find this website enjoyable. It is so fun to read these one sentence stories, who really cares how useful it is anyway?

0 comments:

 

Ashley's 23 Things © 2008 . Distributed by Blogger Templates. Design By: SkinCorner